Sunday 26 June 2016

Rock n' roll crafting - pillowcase redo

Hey!

So I've had the entire week off work, and had all of these incredibly ambitious plans to post almost daily about all the fascinating things (ha) I've been dabbling in... and have managed to write nothing until tonight. I guess getting started really is the hardest part!

Let's get back on track with a sewing project I recently completed; a friend of mine had an old pillowcase (that was originally a pair of PJ pants made by her in highschool home ec) that needed some refurbishing. After literally months of procrastination (that's the first step for all crafts), I came up with this:

left: new fabric; right: old pillowcase. I wanted something patterned (pattern mixing woooo) that wouldn't detract too much from the original fabric. Most of the pillowcase was getting worn out, so I only salvaged the front piece.

Adding a backing on the original piece of fabric for strength. Rawr!

Outer strips added to the middle piece. 
I used the old piece of fabric as a guide for the new strips on the outside. No measuring required. Also, I totally messed up and made the outer strips too big at first ; I ended up cutting off the excess after confirming with my friend that she didn't want a larger pillow... that's what happens when you're rockin' it out

Adding the back flappy thing


Pillowcase turned inside out (my favourite part!)


fin. Looking good next to the clicker.

I love sewing - I grew up watching my mom fashion all sorts of wares from her sewing machine (and occasionally would try to do it myself, but would gum up the machine threading real bad then give up.) Currently, however, I find myself without a proper sewing environment - the only working table I have is a bar height dining table (there is a middle thing where I put the pedal.) The ergonomic gods are never happy with me when this happens...


- HD



No comments:

Post a Comment